ELEVEN THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED KILOHERTZ

The debt is paid, the verdict said, the Furies laid, the plague is stayed, all fortunes made. Turn the key and bolt the door; all is now secure and fast; not the gods can shake the Past.

–Ralph Waldo Emerson: The Past

After I opened the mailbox, and picked up the bundle inside, my heart leaped. Among the utility bills, and commercial flyers, there was a letter whose sender’s name and address were familiar to me: Hildegard Austerlitz, Dusseldorf, Germany.                                   
     I hurried upstairs, rather impatient, anticipating the letter’s content. After I read it, I was satisfied and somewhat disappointed, at the same time.   
     Dear William, it was a great surprise to get a letter from you after such a long time. Many thanks! I’m sorry that I cannot start a new correspondence. I’m 86 years old and have finished my writing. But I wanted you to know that I got your letter, and I live still in the same flat in Dusseldorf. Only the Postal Code is another (09599, before 9200). Nevertheless, I got your letter. I wish you the best for your future. Greetings from Hildegard Austerlitz.   
     Three months before, I had sent eighty seven letters.  One by one, they all came back to me, with various stamped messages: Wrong address, Wrong postal code, Addressee no longer lives at this address, Return to sender.
    Ever since I was a little boy I have wanted to travel the world, and meet people from every corner of the earth. When I was a school boy, I would stare at the pictures on my Geography book in a trance, dreaming of one day visiting those far away places.
     But, before the Internet and electronic mail, my only real window to the world was short-wave radio, and snail mail. Bouncing magically between Earth and the Ionosphere, short waves could travel around the globe. Every night I would spend a couple of hours sitting by the old Philips radio. I remember the excitement when I was able to get the signal of radio stations in remote countries like Israel, or South Africa. I was an avid listener of BBC, Deutsche Welle, Radio Netherlands, Radio France International, Radio Canada International, Radio Moscow, among others. They had Listeners Clubs, and Correspondence Lists. Those lists of names and addresses were sent to all members, so that they could write to one another. That’s how I got to have eighty seven pen pals.  For years we exchanged letters, stamps, bills, coins, postcards, and details of our daily lives.        
     In 1988 I sent them a letter telling them that I was going to move to another country; that I knew the beginning would be difficult, but that I would resume correspondence when I got settled. The fact is, the beginning was a lot harder than I thought. Moving to a land where I had no relatives, no friends, not even acquaintances, with a wife, a three year old son, and a nine months old baby, was very difficult. Homesickness, loneliness, Winter, financial difficulties, they all weighed down on me. I got sidetracked by the vicissitudes of life, and I never wrote again.
     Twenty four years later, digging in a trunk where I keep stuff from the time when my sons were little children, I came across an old list of names and addresses. My surprise was big when I recognized it as the list of my pen pals. A violent wave of nostalgia swept me away, and I decided to write again. I knew it was a long shot, like putting a message in a bottle, hoping it would reach the other side of the ocean. I thought that, most probably, everybody had moved to another address, and therefore, nobody would answer. But, I did it anyway.
     Three months later, when I had put the whole project aside, with some bitterness, I received Hildegard’s letter. I had returned to her a little bit too late.  Her life has certainly changed; mine too. Now I am trying to find purpose, sense, and enjoyment in other aspects of it: reading, writing, traveling, music, spreading good will among my fellow human beings.
     Lately, I have been trying reconnect with old friends, classmates, even teachers. Perhaps that’s an attempt to minimize the existential loneliness, and give more meaning to my life through love and interpersonal relationships, which is the only way I know to achieve salvation.
     I visited my old school, and got some news about my beloved second grade teacher. I had been searching for her for many years, and I finally found her. She lives in New York City. I talked to her over the phone, twice; and told her that I was going to New York just to see her; she said she would be there, waiting for me. I went to New York last summer; I called her many times, but I would always get her answering machine; I left messages saying that I was in New York and that I wanted to see her; but she never replied. I didn’t know her address; so, I couldn’t see her.
     In a general sense, the effort has been unsuccessful. Most of the letters I sent to my pen pals have been returned. Obviously they have moved. Or, there is always the possibility that they don’t care to reply. Maybe they don’t want to reconnect; and maybe they are right; maybe it’s not a good idea to try to go back in time. The past is the past, and must be left behind, and we should move forward, and only forward.
  

© William Almonte Jiménez, 2014