AIR MAIL


Suddenly, I became nostalgic for the old days when there was no Internet or e-mail, when letters were written by hand, sent by airmail at best, or by surface mail, at worst. They used to take weeks, sometimes months, to reach their destination. The postman delivered them personally; people didn’t have mailboxes. Most of the times they came from far away, from a relative, from a love. The recipient would always be thrilled to receive them. Those letters were opened with anticipation, and the anxiety to know what was inside. That piece of paper had been touched by the sender, it had their fingerprints and, even their DNA. Some words were crossed-out. A mistake? A change of mind? The handwriting was a reflection of who wrote them. If the correspondence lasted many years, the way the letters changed would reveal the age, and the physical and mental condition of the author. Sometimes there was a postcard inside, that would make us dream abouf traveling the world. If the missive was from someone we cared about, we would put it in a safe place, and keep it for the rest of our lives, as if it had been a treasure. There have been many arguments between couples because one of them discovered a letter being kept by the other; an ancient letter from an old flame. My handwriting has always been horrible; when I was in college, my professor of Humanities-101 cursed it, because he couldn’t figure it out. I must confess that arthritis won’t  let me write by hands anymore. I have to write slowly so that the resulting words are legible. Being left-handed makes the task even more difficult. I have to be very carefull not to smudge  what I am writing because, unlike you righties, we lefties, drag our hand over what we have just written. Now that I think of it, that must have some profound  psychological meaning. It took me almost two hours to write this one page, but I satisfied the urge. I am sending you all my love, in black and white, on pulp made of eucalyptus, birch, fir, poplar, and pine.        

© William Almonte Jimenez, 2013