DEATH'S ARMS

     The farthest I can stretch my memory is back to the day Néstor died. I have no recollections of anything that happened before that day. I still remember my little brother sleeping on a strange bed; at that time I didn’t know what a coffin was. He was beautifully dressed. I don’t remember how I felt, since I certainly didn’t understand what was happening. Maybe I was indifferent and amused because he was sleeping on that bizarre bed, and he had two laurel leaves covering his eyes. Perhaps I was confused because the neighbours kept coming into the house, and talked to my parents. Maybe I was in shock when some men put a lid on the coffin where my little brother was, and they were going to lift it, to take him away, and I saw my mother dash towards them, like a wild animal. She then hugged the coffin, clung to it, and began to scream like a crazy woman. And I must have been very scared, thinking that something really bad was happening, when I saw that my father was also crying. Well, when mom calmed down, those men lifted my little brother’s coffin, and placed it inside a horse-drawn carriage that was waiting outside. Then they took him away.                              
     Néstor died of cholera, and to this day my father regrets with certain bitterness in his voice the fact that we were poor; he is sure that if we had had money to bring him to a private hospital, we could have saved him. I know I never saw him again, but I don’t remember whether I asked my mother questions about where my little brother was, and when he would return. Sometimes I think my mind is making it up. How can I remember? I was only three years old; Néstor was two. Maybe my memories have been influenced by my mother’s repeated account of that occasion. Perhaps what fixed that experience in my brain was the fact that my father was crying, and I most probably had never seen him cry before. As I said, the things that took place that day are my earliest childhood memory. I would see him cry once more, years later, though.  
     It was 1959 and the island was still under the grip of the ruthless dictatorship of Rafael Trujillo, which started in 1930. We lived under an atmosphere of constant fear; the regime persecuted, tortured, and assassinated the dissidents. You had to watch what you said, and who your friends were, because, a neighbour, a close friend, or even a member of your family, could denounce you before the authorities as one harbouring anti-government sentiments. Then one night, the secret police would storm your house, and take you to La Cuarenta, a torture house the regime had on 40th Street, in Santo Domingo. There you would be tortured with burning cigarettes, live electrical wires, hammers, baseball bats,   your fingernails would be extracted (that sort of things), to make you betray your collaborators, if you had any; and then they would kill you (that is assuming you survived the torture), and dump your body into the Caribbean Sea. Your family would never see you again.
     In January, the armed revolt of the Cuban revolutionaries had finally succeeded in ousting the dictator Fulgencio Batista. In June, Dominican exiles, aided by Fidel Castro invaded the Dominican Republic on three fronts, with the objective of overthrowing the dictator Rafael Trujillo. At Estero Hondo and at Maimón, the rebels rowed in from ships stationed offshore, while a smaller group landed a C-46 transport aircraft at Constanza. Alerted to the invasion by its own spies, the Dominican armed forces stopped the invasion by sea. In Constanza, most of the rebels were captured or killed. The failed invasion of the island that year exacerbated the repression of the regime on the people. Anyone suspected of having any connection with the Barbudos (the invaders), would be taken, tortured and killed.
     My father was a peasant who, at fourteen years of age, left the family farm and headed for the city in search of a better life. At this point in time he had a wife and four children (actually three, Néstor had already died), and living in extreme poverty. He would not take part in any political activity; he would simply work selling lottery tickets, and take care of his family. He was just an innocent bystander. But for reasons unknown to him at that moment, the SIM (Military Intelligence Service), the secret police, whose members, called calieses (Thugs) by the population, patrolled the streets in their black Volkswagen beetles called cepillos, started to harass him, stopping him on the streets, asking him strange questions, watching him, following him. My father was scared and worried, and went to one of our neighbours, sergeant Collie, who was a member of the regular police, and told him what was happening to him. Maybe that was naïve and unwise, but my father considered sergeant Collie to be a good man. Sergeant Collie confirmed that the secret police had something on him, but he didn’t know exactly what. He told my father to be careful, watch his own shadow, and stay away from strangers. This situation continued for a couple of months, until my father found out why the secret police had him under surveillance.     
     Rivas was a prominent and respected lawyer in the city of Santiago, he was also overtly anti-government. The regime had not assassinated him because he was very old, unable to do any real harm to the government, and because killing him would have probably created an outrage of anger among the population, and the international community. My father used to go to his office, and his house to sell him lottery tickets, they would also talk about different things, and became friends. My father told him about his encounters with the secret police. Rivas, who was a declared enemy of Trujillo, told my father that he was probably being persecuted because they were friends. He advised my father never to go again to his house or his office, never to talk to him again, and that if they ever bumped into each other on the streets, my father must ignore him. My father followed his advice, and after that, the secret police left him alone. My father’s brush with the secret police ended uneventfully, but he could have easily gone the way many others did. He could have disappeared one night, and we would have never heard of him again. In 1961 the dictator Rafael Trujillo was executed, the people revolted, and the regime collapsed. In the aftermath, my father and Rivas resumed their friendship.
     In that time and place where I grew up, I was taught that men don’t cry. Well, I didn’t live up to that standard the day I went to visit my father in jail. A neighbour, to whom my father was renting a house, had a grudge against him. He slandered my father before the authorities by saying that he was hiding illegal firearms in our house. No formal charges were laid, our house was never searched, and no guns were found. But all the same, my father spent one week in jail. That’s how non-existing our human rights were. Being well connected with the authorities gave one the power to get someone else in trouble. When my mother and I stepped into the room where he was waiting, I ran into his arms and started to cry. I wished I could have been stronger; I suppose he needed that kind of reassurance. But I couldn’t do better; I was only nine.
     My father didn’t cry that day; I know that for certain, because contrary to the first time, which I vaguely remember, the second and last time I saw him do it is indelibly engraved in my memory. It was the summer of 1970. My little brother Hugo was very sick, and had been in pain for months. He had an accident playing on top of the of carpenter’s bench who was repairing the house. He tripped and fell, and hit the bench with his belly, right where the pancreas is. His pancreas was smashed. He had been operated three times. The doctors gave up on him, and sent him home. A neighbour, who was a nurse, injected painkillers in his blood stream several times a day; but when the effect of the drug wore out, he was in a terrible agony. At one point he body was so deteriorated that he was literally skin and bones.
     One Sunday morning, I remember it clearly, my father was at my little brother’s bed trying to console him, and I was standing by the bed. My father then lost his composure, he left the room and headed for the back yard screaming, like a mad man, that he couldn’t watch his little son suffer so much, that he wanted him to die so that he could rest from his suffering. I was in shock. But the truth is, every member of our family, including my mother, wanted my little brother to die, for the same reason. I followed him to the backyard, he was crying in despair, and once more, I didn’t know what to do to console him. I simply stood there, next to him, keeping him company. Once more, I didn’t know better, I was only fourteen. My brother lost the school year, but he survived, and he holds a special place in our hearts because, as my mother used to put it, with her colourful language, we snatched him from Death’s arms. Death took Néstor, but it could not take Hugo.

© William Almonte Jiménez, 2015