ETERNAL LIFE


The living room lay big and dim, half-lit by the lamp standing in one of its corners. Ice was forming on the edges of the windows. One could only guess at the bleakness of the winter night, through the thick frost covering the windowpanes.                                      
     His little brother was sleeping, and his mother was working the night shift. We were sitting on the sofa, watching one of his favorite programs on television; side by side, close to each other, as if to make solitude less immense. The large living room always made me aware of that solitude, which, somehow, seemed more overwhelming when his mother was absent.   
     “How come kids have fun all day long?” he asked all of a sudden.                  
     “That’s what children do when they are kids, they have fun all the time,” I replied, a little surprised by the question, not knowing exactly what he meant. “You don’t have to worry about anything because your parents take care of you. But, when you are a grownup, you have to work, get married, and have children of your own,” I added in a casual way, without withdrawing my attention from the television set.          
     “How come?” he inquired in a serious tone, as if demanding my full attention. 
     “Well, all children eventually grow up and get married, just as you will, one day,” I answered, knowing that my words didn’t make complete sense.     
      “How come?” he insisted.                                                        
      I was at a loss for words, and I knew that I had to come up with a better justification; “because sooner or later everybody gets married. You will meet a girl, you will like her, she will like you, and then you will get married,” I added, still uncertain about that reply.    
     “How about if she already has a husband?” he fired relentlessly, making me uneasy.
    It dawned on me that the time I was afraid of had come, the time when my children would start asking serious questions about the big issues of life. I realized I was trying to avoid the pitfalls of giving the wrong answers, or giving too much information. “You never marry a girl that already has a husband,” I said, knowing that it was perfectly possible to fall in love with a girl that was already married to another man. But, of course, I wasn’t going to fall into the trap of rationalizing that predicament with him.                          
     “I will never get married,” he said listlessly.                                                           
     “Why?” I asked, less anxious, seizing the opportunity to ask the questions.   
     “Because I want to stay with you,” he replied as if the answer was obvious.         
     I wanted to say something rational about that, but I did not know what. Before I could come up with anything he continued with his interrogation.                
     “How will you look when I am grown up?”                                                            
     “I will be older; I will probably have gray hair,” I stated, rather relieved because, in some way, he had changed the subject. But, the instant I said those words I knew I had taken a slippery road from which there was no return.  The respite didn’t last.            
     “How come people get old and die?” he quickly inquired, as I was afraid he was going to do.                                                                                                         
     The conversation came to the crossroads that I was trying to avoid. “I don’t know, but that’s how it is,” I expressed, unconvincingly.                                              
     Without letting up, there came another query: “If you die, who will take care of me?”      
     “When you grow up you won’t need me, you will take care of yourself. Look at me, my parents live back home, and I live here. I can take care of myself. I don’t need them to solve my problems anymore. The same thing will happen to you,” I declared in a more confident tone, as if I had found the right approach to this tricky and unsolicited dialogue.
     “What if you die while I am still a child?”                                                    
     “You have your mother.”                                                                                        
    “What if mommy dies?”                                                                                                 
     “There are always the grandparents.”                                                                      
      “Yes, but they are far away. How can I go there?”                                                 
     “You go to the airport and buy a plane ticket.”                                                      
     “What if the grandparents die, who will take care of me?”                                     
     He wouldn’t yield. I supposed he was determined to get all the answers then and there. Restless, without knowing what to do or say, with the intention of putting an end to the inquiry, rather impatiently, I reiterated: “I already told you, you will look after yourself.”    
     He started to sob and then he moved in closer to hug me. “I don’t want you to die,” he uttered, like a sentence, a final command, as if he were saying, “don’t you dare die on me,” as if calling upon the forces that rule the universe and telling them “I forbid you from taking my father’s life; end of conversation”.      
    I was feeling cornered and agitated. The long dreaded chat lived up to all my fears. My stomach was shuddering with distress. I was trying at all costs to hide the tears that were clouding my eyes. Hugging him tight, I managed to say, in a low, slow voice, as a last resort, as if I was throwing a lifeline, to him or to me: “It’s going to be all right. Don’t worry about that. That’s not going to happen in a long time. As a matter of fact, I will never die.”                            
     It was getting late, and he had to get up early in the morning to go to school.  It seemed to me as the perfect excuse to finish our discussion. I told him that it was time to go to bed.  He kissed me good-night and went to sleep. Then it was my time to go to bed. While I was in the washroom brushing my teeth, rewinding the tape of our exchange, I noticed him standing by the door.
     “I want to be with you,” he said.                                                                             
     I finished brushing my teeth, took him to bed, and spread the blanket over his body.  I sat on his bed, stroking his hair until he dozed off. I actually stayed there  until long after he fell asleep, feeling guilty, wondering how I could explain the mystery of life to a six-year old boy, without lying. How could I, when I, myself, didn’t have a reasonable explanation? How could I? when I felt that with all my years of life’s experiences, I still didn’t know better than he did.                                                                                      

© Text and photograph, William Almonte Jiménez, 2011