THE AMBER RING

     Who would have thought that half a century later I would be putting into practice something that I learned from grandma when I was very little?  But, it was undeniable; the proof was there on my annular finger.
     One of my happiest childhood memories is summer at grandma’s farm. For a city boy, life in the farm was full of surprises, fun, and grandma’s love.            
   Grandma didn’t have the conveniences of city life. In those days there was no electricity, no television; I don’t even remember a clock. The only high-tech device I remember is a transistor battery-operated radio, which was dead most of the time, in need of new batteries.                              
     I remember one otherwise insignificant detail (insignificant until now), grandma didn’t have pens and paper, or an agenda to write down the things she had to do, and had to remember. She simply knew. But sometimes, there was a very important thing that could not be left up to memory; and she would tie a piece of string on her annular finger. Nowadays I use post-it notes. They are all over my desk, my computer monitor, and my car dashboard.   
     A few days ago, walking by a jewellery store at the mall, the rings, necklaces, bracelets, and earrings, caught my attention, and I suddenly realized the convenience and the cleverness of grandma’s system. She could take her piece of string tied on her finger everywhere she went, even to the shower. I can’t bring my post-it notes with me all the time; it would be ridiculous sticking them to my forehead, my cheeks, or my clothes; and a piece of string on my finger would be even funnier. But, all of a sudden, I realized there was an alternative: A ring would do!                       
     I stepped into the store and bought an amber ring, of a colour that matches my skin; it is hard to notice. And there it is, on my annular finger, all the time, wherever I go. But contrary to what grandma’s piece of string meant to her, a reminder of the things she had to do, for me, the amber ring is a reminder of the things I don’t have to do, must not do, should not do, can not afford to do again, if I am to survive in this world. I am talking about self-destructive behaviour, like, falling in love with the wrong woman.                                                    

© Text and photograph, William Almonte, 2012