SCHOOL

Summer afternoons have the power to snatch from my mind memories of events I have never lived. When the sun shines through the retina, it stimulates electrochemical links in my brain that make me feel euphoric, and remember I can not pinpoint what. I just know that the sensations they make me experience, I have felt before; whether when I was a child, or when I was in my mother's womb, or in another life, I'm not sure. The one thing I am certain of is that the warm summer breeze stroking my face, the fluttering leaves, the sunlight reverberating on the road, the red and yellow wild flowers flirting with the green meadows, the black soil freshly ploughed and ready to be sown, the cumulus clouds in the sky, and the deep blue color of the lake, make me evoke a harmonious and luminous state in which I levitate, with my senses and instincts enhanced, noticing, sensing, and absorbing everything surrounding me. Then I can understand why worshipping the sun, as did the ancient civilizations, makes more sense than venerating the abstraction of an anthropomorphic God.
     The afternoon heat also reminds me of situations that I did live, like my childhood in the tropics, when infinity, simple and harmless lay ahead of me. Shortly before two in the afternoon, as if being carried by a reverie, I would be walking down the tunnel of trees that was Avenida Hermanas Mirabal, on my way to Colegio San Francisco. There was a tree in the centre of the school yard, under which we used to play; I remember it immense, casting a gigantic shadow over us, as if wanting to protect us from evil, thereby keeping intact the state of well-being in which we were wrapped. 
     Lucía was a very cool brunette, with straight black hair, and eyes that sparkled like the stars. Fortune decided that she would be my first grade teacher. When the rain storm broke out, and the school yard was flooded, she would stop the classes, and we would spend the time making little paper boats that we used to place on top of a wave, and then we would watch them disappear into some abyss that probably transported them to remote and unknown worlds.
     Marta’s complexion was like honey or caramel. She always wore her hair tucked into a bun.  In spite of her grumpy face, always frowning, she was actually very kind-hearted. Life rewarded me with the joy of having her as my second grade teacher. She was the one who thought that I was dedicated enough, and sufficiently prepared to jump straight to grade four. She made up her mind, and got the principal, (a Franciscan priest who came from Spain, as most of the priests at that time) to approve it. That’s how I was able to skip grade three, and get ahead of the other kids of the same age.
     Consuelo the mother of three, the wife of one, and my fourth grade teacher, of whom I was very fond, had a face that betrayed the misery of a failed marriage. How could a nine-year old child know about those matters? I know, because, printed in some cache inside my memory, there is a snapshot of her chatting with another teacher about the painful circumstances she was going through.  Her name, which means consolation, was of little help.
     Chance put Camila, a plump, short, and very sensual young woman, on my path to be my fifth grade teacher. I say she was sensual because that’s the way Miguel, a classmate, taught me to look at her. And I say that in hindsight; at that time my vocabulary was not that rich. Miguel spent all his time staring at Camila’s chest, and whispering to me. He once told me that it seemed like she was horny because her breasts were erect; he said that when a woman’s breasts were like that, it meant that she wanted to have sex with a man. That may sound unbelievable; we were only ten years old, and we were already desiring the teacher’s’ tits. All my teachers were cool.  I can’t remember a single one of them that I disliked.
     As if dreaming of Camila’s nipples was not enough to prevent us from staying focused, half-way through grade five Clara arrived. San Francisco School was for boys only.  Across the street, there was San José School, for girls only. Clara’s family had moved to Santiago from one of the provinces of the interior, and it turned out that when they did, there was no room for her in San José School.  Therefore she was allowed to finish fifth grade with us. Some people are so lucky! In the entire school there was one girl, and our fifth grade experienced the joy of having her. One might think that it must have been a daunting experience for a girl to be the only lark amidst a flock of ravens. But it wasn’t like that. At that point we had not yet completely lost our innocence. We treated her like a queen, we would go out of our way to please her, and we would fight for her attention. Her name was premonitory, as Clara was the name of my first love, the only girl with whom I fell in love while I was in high school. 


© William Almonte Jiménez, 2015